To: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:06:19 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

At 8:39 AM -0700 4/6/01, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:55:57AM -0400, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:
>>  At 3:18 PM +0200 4/6/01, Peter Eisenhauer wrote:
>>  >draft-ietf-provreg-grrp-reqs-01.txt:
>>  >  "Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
>>  >  be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."
>>  >
>>  >I think this should be registry policy, not protocol requirement.
>>  >There are models in which IPs are not needed for *all* name
>>servers inside the
>>  >registry. The "MUST" excludes these solutions.
>>
>>  Could you cite such an example?  Name servers are hard to use if they
>>  have no IP address.
>
>That is not what was said, if I understand correctly.  The issue is not
>whether the nameserver has an IP address; the issue is whether the NS
>must be *registered*.  That is, if the NS's IP address can be found
>through normal lookup, then there is no need to register it.

If you are the authoritative registry for a TLD and you don't have
the IP address of a name server within your TLD, how can the NS's IP
address possibly be found through a "normal lookup"?

The IP address is only a required element for name servers within the
registry's authoritative TLDs.  For nameservers within other TLDs,
they are not required (indeed, I think they're prohibited).

Jordyn

--
Jordyn A. Buchanan            jordyn@register.com
Futurist                      +1.212.798.9262

Home | Date list | Subject list