To: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
cc: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Elmar Knipp <Elmar.Knipp@knipp.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 18:35:51 +0200 (METDST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:

> At 8:39 AM -0700 4/6/01, Kent Crispin wrote:
> >That is not what was said, if I understand correctly.  The issue is not
> >whether the nameserver has an IP address; the issue is whether the NS
> >must be *registered*.  That is, if the NS's IP address can be found
> >through normal lookup, then there is no need to register it.
>
> If you are the authoritative registry for a TLD and you don't have
> the IP address of a name server within your TLD, how can the NS's IP
> address possibly be found through a "normal lookup"?

You are mixing some things. Kent catched the sentence.

We do not speak of "IP address of a name server within your TLD" but
rather of the name server of the SLD.

There is no need to register the name server for an *SLD* (name and IP),
if the name server IS NOT in the new created SLD. Regardingless, in which
TLD the SLD is. In contrast, it is dangerous, because you have two places
for the same information (in real DNS and in the host handle). And this
two places are often out of sync :-(

I never understand the sense of the NSI requirements and the need for host
handles. In Germany, we have more then 4,000,000 DE-domains, we only
require the IP of the DNS, if the DNS is in the domain (eg. DNS
"ns3.knipp.de" is responsible for the domain "knipp.de").

Regards,
Elmar

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        44227 Dortmund
                                        Germany