To: Elmar Knipp <Elmar.Knipp@knipp.de>
Cc: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@register.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:01:07 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

At 6:35 PM +0200 4/6/01, Elmar Knipp wrote:
>On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:
>
>>  At 8:39 AM -0700 4/6/01, Kent Crispin wrote:
>>  >That is not what was said, if I understand correctly.  The issue is not
>>  >whether the nameserver has an IP address; the issue is whether the NS
>>  >must be *registered*.  That is, if the NS's IP address can be found
>>  >through normal lookup, then there is no need to register it.
>>
>>  If you are the authoritative registry for a TLD and you don't have
>>  the IP address of a name server within your TLD, how can the NS's IP
>>  address possibly be found through a "normal lookup"?
>
>You are mixing some things. Kent catched the sentence.

No I'm not.  You're arguing against a requirement that doesn't exist.
The requirements document says that IP addresses have to be present
for name servers within the TLD, it doesn't contemplate whether they
have to exist for name servers within the SLD.

>We do not speak of "IP address of a name server within your TLD" but
>rather of the name server of the SLD.
>
>There is no need to register the name server for an *SLD* (name and IP),
>if the name server IS NOT in the new created SLD. Regardingless, in which
>TLD the SLD is. In contrast, it is dangerous, because you have two places
>for the same information (in real DNS and in the host handle). And this
>two places are often out of sync :-(
>
>I never understand the sense of the NSI requirements and the need for host
>handles. In Germany, we have more then 4,000,000 DE-domains, we only
>require the IP of the DNS, if the DNS is in the domain (eg. DNS
>"ns3.knipp.de" is responsible for the domain "knipp.de").

Within your registry, you can deal with this however you want.  If
you want to create a new name server object each and every time a
name server is used, that's up to you.  Personally, I think that's
pretty inefficient.

However, if someone specifies the name server "ns3.knipp.de", and the
name server "ns3.knipp.de" does not exist within the .DE registry,
that's a problem.  You should be handing out glue records for name
servers within your TLD.  Taking your argument to an extreme, it's
possible to have a situation in which xxx.de has the name servers
ns1.yyy.de and ns2.yyy.de, with no IP address information.  yyy.de
could have the name servers ns1.xxx.de and ns2.xxx.de, with no IP
address information.  In that scenario, both xxx.de and yyy.de are
broken.  If you require that all .de name servers have IP addresses
associated with them, that can't happen.

Jordyn

--
Jordyn A. Buchanan            jordyn@register.com
Futurist                      +1.212.798.9262

Home | Date list | Subject list