To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:39:41 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver MUST HAVE IP

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:55:57AM -0400, Jordyn A. Buchanan wrote:
> At 3:18 PM +0200 4/6/01, Peter Eisenhauer wrote:
> >draft-ietf-provreg-grrp-reqs-01.txt:
> >  "Name servers registered within the registry's authoritative TLDs MUST
> >  be registered with a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address."
> >
> >I think this should be registry policy, not protocol requirement.
> >There are models in which IPs are not needed for *all* name servers inside the
> >registry. The "MUST" excludes these solutions.
>
> Could you cite such an example?  Name servers are hard to use if they
> have no IP address.

That is not what was said, if I understand correctly.  The issue is not
whether the nameserver has an IP address; the issue is whether the NS
must be *registered*.  That is, if the NS's IP address can be found
through normal lookup, then there is no need to register it.

Requiring NSs to be registered may reduce the number of lame
delegations, but that really isn't clear.  It does require maintenance
of addresses in two places, which is a source of inconsistency.  In any
case, I agree that it shouldn't be a protocol requirement -- presuming
that I actually understand what's being discussed, of course -- if I
don't, let me down gently.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be