To: "William Tan" <william.tan@i-dns.net>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Maynard Kang" <maynard@i-email.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:28:43 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: HTTP Transport? (was: Re: Security Design Team)

William Tan wrote:
> I do not see any technical advantage over TCP that HTTP provides, in this
> context anyway.
>
> wil.

Actually I don't think you can compare TCP and HTTP just like that. They
are transport methods at different layers (HTTP is TCP based in any case).

You'll have to compare HTTP with some "undefined or new TCP-based
application-layer transport protocol" for a fair comparison.. and I think
that HTTP would be advantageous because of the huge installed base of HTTP
implementations and the fairly mature state of the protocol.

Although not entirely a technical merit, I believe this working group
should strongly consider how to attain maximum reach for whatever it
develops, else it may yet turn out to produce another bulky, unnecessarily
complex, monolithic, and above all, underutilized protocol like X.400 DAP.

maynard

Home | Date list | Subject list