To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:35:24 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: HTTP Transport? (was: Re: Security Design Team)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 05:28:43PM +0100, Maynard Kang wrote:
> William Tan wrote:
> > I do not see any technical advantage over TCP that HTTP provides, in this
> > context anyway.
> >
> > wil.
>
> Actually I don't think you can compare TCP and HTTP just like that. They
> are transport methods at different layers (HTTP is TCP based in any case).

But http is just being used as a transport protocol -- you will have to
implement all the protocol elements on top of it, anyway.  So the
comparison with plain old tcp is probably fairly accurate.

> You'll have to compare HTTP with some "undefined or new TCP-based
> application-layer transport protocol"

We have to do a new application-layer protocol anyway.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be