To: "William Tan" <william.tan@i-dns.net>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Maynard Kang" <maynard@i-email.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:03:34 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: HTTP Transport? (was: Re: Security Design Team)

> I know they aren't.  What I meant was that for the purpose of this design
> team, we are gonna focus on one of them as a representation of
> connection-oriented transport.  It is either:
>
> 1. BEEP over TLS as in 3080/1; or
> 2. TCP with TLS as in epp-tcp-00

Ok, I'm going to stick my head out for this, so please be gentle with the
flames... =)
Is there a reason why HTTP is not considered as a mode of transport?

Although HTTP has many problems (authentication, state maintenance, etc),
there are many widely available APIs for HTTP and thus would be much easier
for the not-so-technically-competent registrars to implement.

I am not sure that every registrar will be able to understand RFC 3080
even, much less deploy an implementation using BEEP.

maynard

Home | Date list | Subject list