To: "'ietf-provreg@cafax.se'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:41:42 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Design teams

Here's the info from the protocol design team.

<Scott/>

New Requirement Issues
- Base Protocol
-- Auth IDs for all object updates
-- Pass-through element
- Common to all Objects
-- "handle" aka Registry Object Identifier (roid)
- Domain
-- Optional registration period and period units
- Host (no issues noted so far)
- Contact
-- Data purpose identification

Base Protocol Design Issues I
- Client-server vs. peer-to-peer
-- Don't preclude client-server
- <ping> Command Name
-- <check> or <is>?
- Query feature to pull notifications
- Client <hello> for connectionless transport
- Command/response pipelining
- <renew> command vs. <update> option

Base Protocol Design Issues II
- Auth ID for transfers vs. other updates
-- Non-sponsor use only for transfer request
- Object relationship queries
-- Good or bad in a provisioning protocol?

Common Object Design Issues
- Globally unique ROIDs for all objects
-- <local part>-<globally unique part>?
- Non-Unicode charset identification
-- May need to store non-Unicode identifiers

Domain Object Design Issues
- Status flags per registry policy or protocol?

Host Object Design Issues
- None identified (yet)

Contact Object Design Issues
- Add extension attribute for E.164 numbers
-- <contact:voice x="1234">+1.7035555555</contact:voice>
- Data purpose definition
-- No proposals yet
- Dual charset representation
-- Also TBD