To: michaelm@netsol.com
Cc: William Tan <william.tan@i-dns.net>, Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:31:29 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

MM has brought up a valid limitation of UUID-style identifiers for
doing lookups. Unfortunately, MM's observation also applies to any
constant identifier -- not just UUIDs.  If the handle contains
information on its location, and its location changes, the handle must
also change.

If we wanted to store handles, so that we can access the objects
later no matter where they got moved to in the meantime, then
MM's point becomes a serious consideration.

On the other hand, if the handles were used to specify operations on
objects where the caller already knew the location(s), then we are
still fine.  Examples of such operations are transfers, deletions,
changes to contact information, etc.

MM, can you think of a solution to this problem?  It may be possible
to use DNS for resolving handles, but this gets back to most of the
drawbacks of operating a handle registry.

George.

--
George Belotsky

Home | Date list | Subject list