To: William Tan <william.tan@i-dns.net>
Cc: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:08:25 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 04:01:33AM +0800, William Tan wrote:
> > Yup... Thats pretty much my take as well.
> > #1 has not worked well
> > #2 is ... operationally challenging ... :)
> > #3 might be the most fun to work on.
>
> I'm for the idea of uuid-like hashes.  Readability has to be sacrificed, I
> don't see any way out.  However, handles may be hidden from the end users,
> so it might not be an issue after all.

You not only sacrifice readability but you also sacrifice delegated resolution.
A flag namespace such as UUIDs would require either a single large
database or a lookup would have to be sent to every potential object
holder to see who had it....

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821