To: michaelm@netsol.com
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:05:53 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

% > % So your personal handle is part of a globally unique space that all
% > % registries have to coordinate to ensure uniqueness, right?
% > %
% > % -MM
% >
% > 	Unfortunately, yes.
% > 	Just like the registry handles have be be globally unique.
% > 	(It would be confusing to have two registries with the same
% > 	handle... :)
% > 	One must have globally unique space within each object type.
%
% So, you have three methods that I'm aware of to do this:
%
% 1) all of the registries have to cooperate to make sure they are
%    creating unique handles
%
% 2) some other entity has to give out unique object handles.
%
% 3) come up with a scheme that can be self assigned but still
%    gaurantees uniqueness (some hash function, uuid being just one)

	Yup... Thats pretty much my take as well.
	#1 has not worked well
	#2 is ... operationally challenging ... :)
	#3 might be the most fun to work on.

% I think the point that others are attempting to get to by
% suggesting that an object's name is its registry handle
% plus its handle is to avoid these methods.  It would be nice of
% folks said why they find these methods objectionable..

	See reply to George, already in flight.
	If a handle has independent meaning, we ought to be
	able to talk about it w/o refering to its other associations.

%
% -MM
%
% --