To: george@register.com (George Belotsky)
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu (Bill Manning), michaelm@netsol.com, shollenbeck@verisign.com (Hollenbeck Scott), ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:02:04 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Unique handle generation

A globally unique space is required within a given object type or
confusion reigns. Constructing composites out of atomics can assist
in removing abiguity.

Without additional information, I can't discriminate George from George
from George.  Adding a Surname helps. (different object type) Adding
a registry helps (different object type).  Still too many GEORGEB-ARIN
handles...
And while ARIN may fabricate its own ideas of which GEORGEB is which,
unless there is some atomic way of removing the ambiguity of GEORGE, as
that object type pertains to the Internet, then we can only refer to GEORGE
in its relationship to another object type.  We can't talk about GEORGE as
a handle with independent meaning.

%
% A globally unique handle does not necessarily require
% coordination between organizations to ensure uniqueness.
%
% George.
%
%