To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:15:55 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: draft-hollenbeck-grrp-reqs-06 [Was Re: Interim Meeting]

FWIW we had quite a lengthy name server management discussion on the old RRP
list some months ago, and truth be told we never came to complete agreement.
There are positive and negative aspects of managing name servers as either
top-level objects or as attributes of other objects, such as domains.

The attribute idea makes sense in the context of managing a small number of
domains, but it gets unwieldy from a management perspective when a name
server is hosting thousands or millions of domains.  Cross-registrar
coordination is also tricky if top level server objects and domain objects
can be managed by different registrars -- how do things work if domain
foo.com must be deleted by one registrar, but another registrar has
management authority for ns1.foo.com?  If domain foo.com gets deleted, is it
a good idea to publish an "orphan" glue record for ns1.foo.com?

Anyway, the current requirements language was thought by me to be the most
reasonable compromise based on operational experience.

<Scott/>

Home | Date list | Subject list