To: ietf-provreg@cafax.se
From: Urs Eppenberger <urs.eppenberger@switch.ch>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:55:54 +0100
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Nameserver as object/entity or not ?

--On Dienstag, 6. Februar 2001 9:19 Uhr -0800 Kent Crispin
<kent@songbird.com> wrote:

> If you have nameserver objects, then you have in effect created
> potentially conflicting ownership/authentication domains, and this
> seems to me a very fundamental problem.  (That is, a domain can be "owned"
> by A, while the nameservers for the domain may be owned by "B".)  If
> only domains can be owned objects, then there are no possible conflicts
> (at least in the registry DB).

Hello Kent et al

We at SWITCH (registry for TLD .ch and .li) have three objects: contact,
domain and host.  See www.nic.ch/batch for a manual which has a nicer
picture with the data model.

As Bill pointed out, having these three objects makes changes easier,
because in many cases you need only change one single object (IP Adress of
a host, Fax Number of a contact).

Kent wrote about 'ownership' of these objects. We handle it like this:

object      contains                              owned by
contact     person data (name, e-mail,...)        the person itself
domain      pointers to holder/hosts              holder
host        hostmaster,IP adresses (if needed)    hostmaster

The owner has the right to change attributes. This works quite well. It
hasa drawbacks, especially in the case of domains, where the holder often
just does not care since a ISP does all the work for him. But many domain
holders are very happy to be in full control.

PROVREG should support such a data model. Scotts proposal does.

Urs.

Home | Date list | Subject list