To: "Patrick" <patrick@gandi.net>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:02:47 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Nameserver as object/entity or not ?

| >From experience, I can tell you that it is used. I was working before
| in an ISP. One day we had to change our Internet connexion, which
| changed the IP of our nameservers, thus the need to change the
| properties of all domains using these nameservers.
| I'm working in a Registrar now, and it happens that customer ask us
| to change 50 or 100 domains at the same time because they change
| nameservers or they change IP of one nameserver.

  This is a good point, and my mindset tends to not be focused on
service-provider concerns as much as registrant concerns (somewhat ironic
given I used to work for a rather large ISP).  ISPs who renumbered would
have an impossible time if they had to coordinate a massive batch of updates
to the registration entries for all of their customer domains for which they
were providing nameservice.

  I would say that this concern alone would warrant a requirement that the
nameserver entities be managed separately.

| I do not know if it is useful, but having an attribute 'owned by'
| might be of interest.
|
| It strikes me that there is also the whole thing with DNSSEC.
| AFAIK (which is little) about that, nameserver have keys, and other
| must know them. How do you distribute keys ? If the nameserver is
| in object in the Registry database, you can associate with it its key
| to be used by whoever needs them. Just an idea.

  This is a good point and I think raises an important larger question:  is
the goal of this WG to _only_ develop an interoperability platform for
registrar and registry interactions using existing techniques and models, or
to perhaps improve upon those models and techniques?

  -bws

Home | Date list | Subject list