To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: "Paul George" <pgeorge@saraf.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:04:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: RE: Antwort: RE: draft-hollenbeck-grrp-reqs-06 [Was Re: Interim Meeting]

Is it safe to say that Name Servers are being discussed in two different
roles here?

1- As a domain to be registered, and
2- As an attribute of a different domain being registered.

???

So in the requirement that we are discussing:

|   [10] All registrars MUST be authorized to register objects in the
|   registry.  Name server registration MUST be limited to the registrar
|   of the name server's parent domain.  Unauthorized attempts to register
|   a name server in a parent domain administered by another registrar
|   MUST be explicitly rejected.

This is really talking about role # 1.  And role # 2 happens when I already
have the "handle" of the domain (which happens to be the Name Server) when I
register a different domain.

For example, I register a new domain: foo.biz.  When I do that, I specify
ns(1,2).old-domain.com as the name servers.  Now only *I* can register
ns(1,2).foo.biz as new domains, which will BTW be my new name servers.

Now my friend "Bob" wants to register foo.info, he registers it using
ns(1,2).foo.biz as the name servers, which I say is okay.  Here, he using
the name servers as attributes of his new domain, he certainly is allowed to
use them in this fashion.  He is not allowed to register a new domain :
bob.foo.biz - that's what [10] is trying to prevent (I think).

I hope this is right, if not, I need further explaination.  Thanks!

Paul George
SARAF Software Solutions
(703)538-5666 x234