To: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
Cc: "Patrik Faltstrom" <paf@cisco.com>
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 14:59:47 -0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Fw: WG Review: Provisioning Registry Protocol (provreg)

At 08:41 PM 2/2/2001 +0800, James Seng/Personal wrote:
>I would like to object this proposed charter for provreg. Its scope has
>been so specific defined for DNS only and has no mention of anything
>beyond DNS.

feature, not bug.

start with a narrow focus.  do something useful quickly.  then come back
and expand the scope.

The more general the scope, the longer the cycle to delivery something useful.

At 03:22 PM 2/2/2001 -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
>At 3:02 PM -0500 2/2/01, James Seng wrote:
> >It also have references to Scott Hollenback I-Ds. While Scott have good
> >I-Ds, referencing it to the WG charter is IMHO a bad idea. It will
> >discourage others to come forward with their proposal.
>
>The updated charter does not reference the drafts.  Below is the latest
>one.  I don't know whether the charter below will replace the one on the
>ietf-announce list, but in any case, I certainly agree that the references
>to the drafts should be removed.

Removing the reference to Scott's draft is a very serious mistake,
PRECISELY for the reason noted above:  If someone has an alternative draft,
they have not come forward with it.  Inviting people to START on new drafts
is an excellent way to ensure that this working group take MUCH longer to
do something useful.

In point of fact, Scott's proposal has already received quite extensive
review from, from very different perspectives, and the consensus seems to
be that it is an excellent starting point.

More strangely, the published draft has prose that restricts the work to
requirements, but specifies deliverables as specification of data objects,
and the like.  It also does not have milestone dates.

Having the charter focus on requirements is another good way to ensure that
the useful work of producing a protocol will take longer.

d/

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464

Home | Date list | Subject list