To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Cc: <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, "Patrik Faltstrom" <paf@cisco.com>
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 17:17:08 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Fw: WG Review: Provisioning Registry Protocol (provreg)

At 5:59 PM -0500 2/2/01, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Removing the reference to Scott's draft is a very serious mistake,
>PRECISELY for the reason noted above:  If someone has an alternative draft,
>they have not come forward with it.  Inviting people to START on new drafts
>is an excellent way to ensure that this working group take MUCH longer to
>do something useful.

The reason I removed the mention of the draft is that we are not here to
bless a particular protocol generated outside the working group, but rather
to generate a protocol in full view of the IETF.  Scott's proposals are
fine starting points, but if there happens to be a better proposal out
there, we aren't going to stop it.

Yes, there exists the possibility that other proposals may come along.  But
if the consensus is that there is a deadline and there is an acceptable
proposal available, a "promising" future proposal may be dismissed if it
will not meet the deadline.

>In point of fact, Scott's proposal has already received quite extensive
>review from, from very different perspectives, and the consensus seems to
>be that it is an excellent starting point.

This makes it (the requirements draft) a shoo-in as a WG document.  It is
also less likely that there will be an alternative requirements draft
coming in that could delay consensus on the requirements.  The WG
discussion on it will likely be quick.  It is possible that we could go to
last call within a month of being a WG (allowing time for any other input
to be made under the mantle of a WG).

I haven't seen nearly as much consensus on EPP yet, but at least Scott has
a laid out plan.  We have a good starting point.

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Dilbert is an optimist.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list