To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:11:02 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

> > Why is it that people here automatically assumed that RRP/WHOIS only
> > serves Domain Names information?
>
> Are you suggesting that an RRP doesn't, or making a subset
> arguement? Who cares, other than extensibility-in-principle, about
> more junk than the necessary and sufficient minimum, viz dns data? I
> made the assumption as those are exactly the problems I'm trying to
> solve, if my state of mind is that interesting.

As someone who may have to actually implement a merged RRP/Whois
protocol if someone in IETF decides that RRP should consume the hoary
Whois spec, and has no interest (at all! really!!!) in Domain Name
information, I care.

I don't envision RRP being useful for a more general purpose distributed
database (I could be wrong here), but even if it is, it really seems to
be orthogonal to Whois.  Other people have noted this already, and
they're right.  :)

--
Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Database Software Engineer