To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
cc: Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com>, George Belotsky <george@register.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:57:01 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

James,

> Why is it that people here automatically assumed that RRP/WHOIS only
> serves Domain Names information?

Are you suggesting that an RRP doesn't, or making a subset arguement?
Who cares, other than extensibility-in-principle, about more junk than
the necessary and sufficient minimum, viz dns data? I made the assumption
as those are exactly the problems I'm trying to solve, if my state of
mind is that interesting.

> And what makes ICANN the default authority beyond IP and Names and that
> RRP/WHOIS is only used by the 80+ Registrars?

That set of registrars and registries is convienient to mention, frequently
in less than complete awe. There are of course ccTLD registries and their
own registrars. This is the same space we worked on at the SRS BoF in
Orlando, and in mini-BoF at Minneapolis.

Was there something else, other than several orders of magnitude difference
in the number of endpoint identifiers, between the RRP and whois models, or
the rather modest span of known policies in either model, which caught your
attention? These were the sole motivations I gave for mentioning ICANN. If
you've some other concern, I don't yet know what it is.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list