To: "Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine" <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: "Karl Auerbach" <karl@CaveBear.com>, "George Belotsky" <george@register.com>, <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, <ietf-whois@imc.org>, <brunner@nic-naa.net>
From: "James Seng/Personal" <James@Seng.cc>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 06:54:47 +0800
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

Eric,

> > Why is it that people here automatically assumed that RRP/WHOIS only
> > serves Domain Names information?
>
> Are you suggesting that an RRP doesn't, or making a subset arguement?

No, but it is too early to make a presumation or to restrict it to
Domain Names only. In fact, all discussion so far did suggest RRP to go
beyond Domain Names.

> Who cares, other than extensibility-in-principle, about more junk than
> the necessary and sufficient minimum, viz dns data?

I do. If ProReg turns out to be a protocol designed just for Domain
Names, then ProReg is less useful. One of the original discussion I have
with various people to stop calling it RRP for the same reason because
it should be a generic registration protocol, able to register objects
beyond domain names.

Beside, different registry have different policy, different fields in
objects. Unifying all of them is a hopeless utopia dream. IMHO, it is
probably better to define what is common stuff and let the rest of the
registry define their own object schema.

> I made the assumption as those are exactly the problems I'm trying
> to solve, if my state of mind is that interesting.

Your problem is only a subset of all the problems.

> Was there something else, other than several orders of magnitude
> difference in the number of endpoint identifiers, between the RRP
> and whois models, or the rather modest span of known policies in
> either model, which caught your attention? These were the sole
> motivations I gave for mentioning ICANN. If you've some other concern,
> I don't yet know what it is.

I have no issues with ICANN wrt to IP and Names. They are charter to do
that. But policy on those may change or even ICANN may not be around in
a few years. Who knows? What we need is a protocol which is flexible
enough to handle these changes.

Beside, it is best that a technical group dont get involves in the
higher level decision making process.

Secondly, please think beyond DNS. There are other multi-tier model
which could use ProReg such as CA/RA. Keywords system are also getting
popular. And believe it or not, I know of one company which uses RRP for
Email registration.

And why stop there? Any registration you do today can use this in
someway, e.g. Why not registration system for ID, driver license,
passport? No, it is not crazy because I am involved in a project whereby
I am using RRP which would really really stretch the meaning of
registration.

-James Seng

Home | Date list | Subject list