To: Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, George Belotsky <george@register.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:00:02 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

Karl,

As I mentioned earlier, when used as intended, whois repurposes and
redistributes registrant-originated data. It isn't "customer as status
querier" (which I think means registrant) but non-registrant, e.g.,
Acxiom, or DoubleClick or, ...

I understand, but don't share, the view that identification/authentication
of both the querier and the responder are bigger issues than what our
friends in Europe refreshingly refer to as "data self-determination".

Failing over to a policy server, a la Shai Herzog's original paper, is a
fine idea, but (presumably) is unnecessary within the ICANN scope of an
RRP, where policy is reasonably finite and well-known. How useful it may
be where the restriction on query initiators is removed ("public" whois)
is TBD.

I also agree that with only 67 or so ICANN approved Registrars, sneakernet
is a viable trust model.

Eric

Home | Date list | Subject list