To: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
cc: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:30:28 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

George,

Wearing my rrp-implementor hat, I'm implementing bulk transport of user
profiles[1], including a mechanism to support registry, registrar, and
also promoted registrant "hints" for policed access mechanisms. I've got
all the reliable, non-repudiation, secure hurdles to clear as well. Bulk
is zero-or-more user profiles, aka "registrar-provided registrant data".

One "hint" I think is required is the controlling jurisdiction(s) for
any specific datum, registrant originated, registrar originated, or
registry originated.

My idea of "extensible" is that the rrp _might_ be useful to the ccTLD
actors, or any other form of Registry-Registrar model ICANN posits in
the near future, as my rrp-implementor hat reads "gTLD(s) first".

Wearing my who-wannabe-implementor hat, I'm implementing non-bulk-query
of user profiles, and transporting data with hints intact for use at
some unspecified point where policy (or hints) are evaluated, isn't part
of the less-than-pelucid-spec. In fact, what spec? For all I know, the
lookup could point to registries having little or nothing to do with
DNS registry data, e.g., Acxiom.

Finding a schema, or bits of several, that can be recycled, isn't very
hard, but is it interesting? I don't think the rest of the problem is as
amenable to reuse or recycling or a unifying software architectural
model as the schema question.

Cheers,
Eric
---

[1] see also www.cpexchange.org, which has a bulk user profile exchange
protocol with similar properties, created by the on-line marketers and
ultra-large vertically integrated vendors.

Home | Date list | Subject list