To: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, ietf-whois@imc.org
From: George Belotsky <george@register.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:18:55 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Merging RRP and Whois

Eric:

The notion of "specific details" is no less general than
"extensibility".  If the "sufficiently specific" material was already
known, there would be no need to discuss designing a new protocol.

In the absence of such a priori knowledge, it becomes necessary to
seek out analogous situations to guide oneself towards the required
specifics.  These specifics are the desired end result, not the
initial starting point.

It is possible to make fine distinctions in virtually any case.
Experience generally shows, however, that a unifying approach is both
simpler and more useful.

There is absolutely no need here to reconcile the specifics of privacy
and data protection with scope-free universalism.  The Whois data is
universally accessible, but restricted in scope.  In operating
systems, for example, there is a huge range of access permissions from
the superuser to a minimally privileged user, sometimes even an
unauthenticated guest user.

Authentication and restricted access are already parts of the
requirement document for this protocol.  There is no reason why there
cannot be a 'guest user' with maximally restricted permissions.

George.

--
George Belotsky

Home | Date list | Subject list