To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:17:35 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft vienna minutes (sorry about the delay)

So this is a reasnoably fair reflection of the lack of concensus on RA vs
DHCP for DNS resolver discovery in Vienna.   Some comments are missing
though, like Alain's "large network resetting" issue, and of course the
"Why have DHCP?" responses to "Why not use DHCP?" :)

How is the impasse to be resolved?   Pekka suggested a design team, which
was not taken forward as it would be a potentially slow process, yet I'm
not sure anything has changed since July anyway?

There were some fringe proposals after Vienna, e.g. for multicast responses
to DHCP requests.   Perhaps the lack of a detailed RA-based proposal will
cause DHCP to be used "by default".

There is still work either way in how the DHCPv6 (Lite) settings are
propogated to the router, or how DHCPv6 forwarding accurs where DHCPv6
requests are sourced on a subnet with no server.

Thoughts?

Tim