To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: 15 Mar 2003 08:21:03 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: dns discovery for agenda? [Re: chairs and charter]

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Randy Bush wrote:
> > i also hope that dave and rob can push the dnsop-ng vision in time
> > for the sf meeting, with focus on things such as dnssec deployment,
> > v4/v6 co-existence, dns discovery, ...  so expect a flurry of
> > change between now and sf.
>
> I'd like to see DNS discovery issues on the agenda for the meeting (I
> couldn't find whether agenda had already been posted, so I'm not sure if
> there's time etc.etc.).
>
> In particular, one could discuss:
>  - the generic model of reserved addresses for DNS discovery
>  - models and applicability of IPv6-specific DNS discovery in conjunction
> with stateless address autoconfiguration

I'm all in favour of talking about DNS discovery, that's a worthwhile
subject. However, to my mind the real issue is discovery mechanisms in
general, not only DNS. As long as we stay micro focused on "dns
discovery", "foo discovery" and "bar discovery" I fear that we'll keep
on finding individual mechanisms rather than a generic method.

Unfortunately the more generic discussion doesn't seem well suited for
DNSOP.

Johan Ihrén
Autonomica