To: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
cc: dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:53:18 +0200 (EET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: dns discovery for agenda? [Re: chairs and charter]

On 15 Mar 2003, Johan Ihren wrote:
> I'm all in favour of talking about DNS discovery, that's a worthwhile
> subject. However, to my mind the real issue is discovery mechanisms in
> general, not only DNS. As long as we stay micro focused on "dns
> discovery", "foo discovery" and "bar discovery" I fear that we'll keep
> on finding individual mechanisms rather than a generic method.
>
> Unfortunately the more generic discussion doesn't seem well suited for
> DNSOP.

Indeed, this is a worry.

However, DNS could be argued to be sufficiently special.

For instance, I have run DHCPv4 here in the IETF network basically just to
find the DNS servers.  If I wanted to run in IPv6-only operation, I'd have
to configure the server manually, run DHCPv6 or whatever.  I'm not at all
interested in configuring search paths, NTP, Foo, or Bar in "visiting"
networks.