To: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>
Cc: "Barber, Piet" <pbarber@verisign.com>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: 15 Mar 2003 08:43:44 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net> writes:

Bruce,

> However, what are we trying to fix?  The fact that the traffic is reaching
> the roots, or that the traffic is escaping from the local networks?
>
> If the former, we could correctly delegate (ie, not a lame delegation)
> '.local' somewhere other than the roots, and let that sink the traffic.
> Or simply put a wildcard record in for '*.local. IN A 127.0.0.1' and let
> each site figure out whats wrong.

Wildcards are evil.

Wildcards in the root would by definition be the root of evil.

Bad idea.

> For that I'd suggest delegating '.local.' to the anycasted AS112 project
> (so you've got localised traffic sinks), and wildcard records within to a
> website hosted on each AS112, to the effect of 'If you can read this, you
> have misconfigured your nameserver and local zone setup.  Here are a few
> tips to correct this' (etc).

Ugh. While I see what you're trying to achieve here, I think the AS112
project should stick with providing nameservice for bogus lookups.
Diversifying into providing webservice for bogus surfing is not the
route to happiness.

Bad idea.

Johan Ihrén
Autonomica