To: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
CC: Akira Kato <kato@wide.ad.jp>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Simon Coffey <sicoffey@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:34:33 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

Eric A. Hall wrote:

>This draft is admirable for its objective, but is missing the single
>largest piece of good advice, which is to use real friggin domain names
>from delegated space instead of making up your own. Could that be added?
>Something to the affect of ~"if you want a locally resolvable, private
>domain, use local.<company>.<your-isp> so that leakage is limited, but so
>that the namespace authority model continues to function."

I would accept that delegating from a registered domain is a purer
solution and yes that should be mentioned in any draft on the subject
(although I figure you would rather not see any draft at all).   I still
believe that folks will want to use an alternative,  if only because
"intranet.acme.pri" is shorter and easier to manage than
"intranet.local.acme.co.uk".

Simon