To: Akira Kato <kato@wide.ad.jp>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:39:45 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

on 2/24/2003 11:59 PM Akira Kato wrote:

>           Operational Guidelines for "local" zones in the DNS
>                   draft-kato-dnsop-local-zones-00.txt

This draft is admirable for its objective, but is missing the single
largest piece of good advice, which is to use real friggin domain names
from delegated space instead of making up your own. Could that be added?
Something to the affect of ~"if you want a locally resolvable, private
domain, use local.<company>.<your-isp> so that leakage is limited, but so
that the namespace authority model continues to function."

For those who would argue in favor of a reusable private-space TLD, I will
reiterate the point that this kind of approach simply reintroduces the
same kinds of problems we already have with NAT (leakage, collisions when
merging networks, etc.). It was a bad idea for the IP crunch, it's a bad
idea for DNS for almost the exact same reasons, but with the key
difference that there is no shortage of domain names.