To: Akira Kato <kato@wide.ad.jp>
CC: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Aidan Williams <aidan.williams@motorola.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:50:20 +1100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

Akira Kato wrote:
> 3.3.  Private or site-local addresses
>
> The following IPv4 "private" addresses [Rekhter, 1996] and IPv6 site-
> local addresses [Hinden, 1998] should be resolved locally:

I support this style of solution.

I think this document is a much better operational guideline than
"don't publish private addresses in the DNS", which has generally
been ignored.

Rather than say: "should be resolved locally", I would prefer to
say that anyone may set up a DNS server to be authoritative for
these zones.  That means that ISP DNS resolvers are licensed to
become authoritative and squash requests to these zones.

A number of people appear to have written drafts along these lines.
Mine (Jul 2002) is: draft-williams-dnsext-private-namespace-01.txt
Feel free to swipe any text you like the look of.

- aidan