To: dnsop@cafax.se
CC: Akira Kato <kato@wide.ad.jp>
From: Simon Coffey <sicoffey@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:17:32 +0000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: "local" zones

Akira Kato wrote:

>I missed the dead line of the initial submission of an I-D, I'd post it
>to the list. I'd post it as a working group draft if applicable after
>San Francisco IETF meeting.
>
>-- Akira Kato

I was co-author of an I-D that proposed the reservation of a ".pri" TLD
that would be the recommended TLD to use on "internal" networks.   We
chose ".pri"(vate) as we felt is reflected the intended application more
accurately than .local,  which was confusingly similar to .localhost.

I approached ICANN, whose opinion was that they would gladly reserve
that TLD if instructed by the IETF/IANA.    However, the draft failed to
progress - partly because ICANN hadn't reserved the TLD, and partly due
to technical argument over whether non-registered domains should ever be
encouraged.

The authors continue to receive enquiries from folks designing an
internal DNS namespace and wishing to use a "standard" TLD,  so I still
believe there is a need for some standard TLD for use on "private"
networks,   whether it be ".pri", ".local" or something else...

FYI:
http://www.kblabs.com/lab/lib/drafts/draft-coffeystrain-privatednstld-00.txt.html

- Simon Coffey