To: Edward Lewis <edlewis@arin.net>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:52:48 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: RFC 1886 Interop Tests & Results

At 8:04 PM -0400 2002/07/16, Edward Lewis wrote:

>  3) For buyers, yes, anonymized results are not beneficial.  But
>  then the IETF is not about being a venue for selling (a la Interop,
>  trade magazines, consumer shows) but a venue for collaboration.
>  (I.e., this audience is beyond the scope of the IETF's services.)

	I don't buy BIND.  I don't buy NSD, or bind-dlz, or djbdns, or
QuickDNS, or much of anything else of this sort, either.  For most of
these programs, I download the code, build it, install it, and
configure it -- not only for myself, but also (primarily?) for my
customers.  For those packages which are commercial and available in
binary-only format, I have arrangements with the respective vendors
so that I can have evaluation copies.

	It would seem to me that this community has been completely
ignored by this report, and therefore also by the IETF.

	Not everyone in the world is a programmer or a company employing
programmers.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>