To: Zefram <zefram@fysh.org>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:00:33 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt

At 11:26 AM -0400 10/25/01, Zefram wrote:
>This doesn't seem to fall precisely within the charter of any current
>IETF WG, though dnsop seems the closest.  Is the dnsop list an appropriate
>place to discuss this matter?

My immediate reaction was that allocating any kind of TLD is within the
baliwick of ICANN, not the IETF nor any of the WGs.  I don't see that the
draft is really about DNS, but more about setting up a new TLD with certain
properties.  Perhaps you will want some input on this, but IMHO, this isn't
really an IETF issue.

Ultimately, you'd need to make a case to ICANN anyway for this to happen.

>Whether it is discussed here or not, no doubt many dnsop denizens will
>have opinions on this I-D, and I'd appreciate commentary from people
>working in this area.  I'll respond to comments sent either to the dnsop
>list or directly to me.

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

You fly too often when ... the airport taxi is on speed-dial.

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list