To: "Zefram" <zefram@fysh.org>, "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: "Jim Fleming" <jimfleming@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:57:28 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>

> My immediate reaction was that allocating any kind of TLD is within the
> baliwick of ICANN, not the IETF nor any of the WGs

With the introduction today of Windows XP with IPv6 and support
for "IPv8 Addressing", I believe the Internet will expand a bit.
ICANN is simply doing Proof-of-Concept testing of some new
TLDs on the "toy" Early Experimental Internet. I can not imagine that
ICANN will have much impact on TLDs on the Next Generation
Internet. They seem to have their hands full with their current research
projects.

It all boils down to fairness.
Which list do you think is more fair ?

The "toy" IPv4 Internet Early Experimentation Allocations ?
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
The Proof-of-Concept IPv8 Allocations ?
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

Why would people pay for Address Space, when it is FREE ?

Jim Fleming
http://www.DOT-BIZ.com
http://www.in-addr.info
3:219 INFO