To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
CC: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>, Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Dancer Vesperman <dancer@zeor.simegen.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:49:24 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Bill Manning wrote:
> %
> % On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:56:37PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> % >     Date:        Wed, 15 Aug 2001 06:00:34 -0700 (PDT)
> % >     From:        Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
> % >     Message-ID:  <200108151300.f7FD0YH05643@zed.isi.edu>
> % >
> % >   | 	Then the Internet is doomed.  Either evolution or revolution.
> % >
> % > In some places, revolution is all that is possible.   The evolutionary
> % > step is just too big to every take.
> %
> % I'm butting in here, but it may be interesting to know that quite a number
> % of the top-100 resolving nameserver installations out there are still
> % running Bind4! I'm doing some research on the big resolvers out there,
> % especially the (non-)randomness of the id field.
> %
> % Some of these people have gone through great lengths to remain at Bind4,
> % even though they run late breaking operating system releases.
> %
> % Regards,
> %
> % bert hubert
>
> 	I'd like to compare numbers.

I can't talk about the top-100, but I have a fair experience 'in the
trenches'. Every geek I know who runs her own nameserver is running
bind8 or bind9. Only four companies out of circa 70 that I've done work
for since bind8 came out have bind8 (the rest have bind4, and I
personally installed three out of those four bind8 setups).

<OPINION>Honestly, most DNS admins are barely willing to learn what they
currently have, in a minimally effective fashion. Between lame
delegations, CNAME abuse, and MX nightmares, it's often amazing that the
  public internet runs at all.

IPv6 is being actively resisted by network admins and managers because
it's not an incremental change. It's full of Big Scary Newness(tm).
They'd rather extend v4 than step up to v6. It's all very "not on my
watch", at the moment. I'd guess that maybe 30% of networks won't even
start to take up ipv4 until perhaps more than 50% of the most popular
bits of the net are no-longer reachable through it...And you know they
will be, for some time. SMTP and WWW traffic will be gatewayed for
almost ever, on the evolutionary path.

As far as the actual A6 vs AAAA debate goes, it all boils down to this:
If we cock this up, then in a hundred years time, the odds are that
sysadmins are going to be swearing at us for the mistakes we made. OTOH,
if we just sit and talk it back and forth for a while, the status quo
will become a fait accompli, and our names still become mud in the
future. Hamlet or Othello? Or someone else?
</OPINION>