To: Christian Huitema <huitema@windows.microsoft.com>
CC: Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com>, Alexis Yushin <alexis@nlnetlabs.nl>, James Aldridge <jhma@KPNQwest.net>, Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>, Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Dancer Vesperman <dancer@zeor.simegen.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 04:05:17 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

Christian Huitema wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Just for the record -- Microsoft as a corporation did not try to sway this issue one way or the other; individual IETF contributors who happen to work for Microsoft have various opinions in this debate. OTOH, we are shipping software, and we would really want the debate to be resolved very soon.
>
> -- Christian Huitema

I think what Paul meant was an invocation of the Golden Rule of Arts and
Sciences ("He who has the gold, makes the rules" for those not versed in
the classics). There's probably no need to wave loaded disclaimers
around where they might go off, and injure a bystander :)

Microsoft's name (rightly or wrongly) is commonly substituted by those
in the halls of Information Technology for any amoral, monopolising
concern or manufacturer of low-quality merchandise. It is not at all
unusual (in my personal experience) to hear a shoddy telecommunications
provider, or a Harmful Products Manufacturer(tm) referred to as 'A
Microsoft' or 'A Microsoft Subsidiary'. Oh, well. I guess any publicity
is good publicity...Or at least that's what I've heard Marketing say. :)