To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, kre@munnari.OZ.AU
Cc: Alain Durand <Alain.Durand@sun.com>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Nathan Jones <njones@connect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:33:55 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:00:34AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
>   Then the Internet is doomed.  Either evolution or revolution.
>   Either the right way or an incremental hack, a goiter, that
>   we can never get rid of.

I don't think kre is opposing evolution here; simply saying that we
should assist evolution by doing it now while it's easier.

>% eg: now the DNS has SRV records, they do so everything that MX can do,
>% and more.   In a way they're the analog of A6 and AAAA (MX is a subset of
>% SRV).   There would be benefits to converting SMTP to use SRV instead of
>% MX.   Can you imagine anyone seriously suggesting that that happen however?
>% Can you really imagine that there'd ever be a day when we could deprecate
>% the MX record?
>
>   Yes I can see it.  We've done it before. VJC is yet another
>   example.

I can see that it is possible to convert SMTP to use SRV records, but
the required transition time would be tremendous. The same applies to
a transition from AAAA to A6 years down the track.

>   Heck, we might even replace SMTP.

Isn't that revolutionary rather than evolutionary?  :-)

>	Yet another hack, like mobilip & IDN.

Why have a hack, when we can do it right the first time? You seem to
be implying...

>   You seem unwilling to do the right thing in favor of what
>   looks like the expediant thing.  Or am I reading too much
>   into your statements?

...that implementing A6 is the wrong thing to do. Wrong for what solid
reasons? (Leaving transition "woes" out of the debate for a moment.)
Wrong because AAAA has an advantage over A6? If so, what advantage?

If it is not wrong, then why move it off the standards track?

--
nathanj

Home | Date list | Subject list