To: Nathan Jones <njones@connect.com.au>
Cc: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:22:51 +0900
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

>>   transition them into some other record type in one night.  you have
>>   been proposing a migration path with a hard "flag day", with:
>I don't recall anyone saying that this needs to be an instant change.
>
>I do recall people saying that A6 has merit and that it is worth the
>effort to migrate.
>
>The whole idea of transition mechanisms like AAAA synth is to allow
>gradual adoption of A6 as people start adopting A6.

	well, this is because you guys have been ignorant about transition
	issue from the current situation to "AAAA synthesis" situation.

>Obviously there will be a transition period during which members of
>the existing (comparatively small) IPv6 community will either provide
>both AAAA and A6, or run DNS software that can synthesise AAAA RRs to
>serve requests from other existing IPv6 users.

	what I have been arguing about is that, AAAA synthesis advocators
	never mention about transition period like the above four lines.
	it was very first time it was admitted by AAAA synthesis advocators.
	AAAA synthesis advocators never talk about this "issues during
	transition period to AAAA synthesis"
	wait, AAAA synthesis is a transition tool to A6, and we need a
	transition period to move to AAAA synthesis?  what is the merit of
	doing such a complex thing?  will the effort really buy us anything?

	there has to be more detailed analysis made, before AAAA synthesis
	be even taken into consideration.  I'm serious.  someone has to write
	up a whole analysis document.  I tried it in my draft, but you may
	say I'm biased :-P

>>   - all existing zone files must be rewritten to from AAAA to A6 in one
>>     night (of which timezone?)
>>   - all AAAA queriers can stay as is, but there has to be AAAA synthesis
>>     server at every leaf
>>   - no AAAA traffic in core DNS cloud, only A6 traffic.
>These claims seem to stem from either disbelieve that the transition
>can be made, or from desire to stop A6 regardless of its merits.

	you can't control what I believe, or disbelieve.  what I'm keep saying
	is AAAA synthesis advocators are too optimistic about the mess
	that happens during the transition period.

	and if we don't transition, there's no mess!

itojun

Home | Date list | Subject list