To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>, Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Nathan Jones <njones@connect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:13:37 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:34:11PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
>   transition them into some other record type in one night.  you have
>   been proposing a migration path with a hard "flag day", with:

I don't recall anyone saying that this needs to be an instant change.

I do recall people saying that A6 has merit and that it is worth the
effort to migrate.

The whole idea of transition mechanisms like AAAA synth is to allow
gradual adoption of A6 as people start adopting A6.

Obviously there will be a transition period during which members of
the existing (comparatively small) IPv6 community will either provide
both AAAA and A6, or run DNS software that can synthesise AAAA RRs to
serve requests from other existing IPv6 users.

>   - all existing zone files must be rewritten to from AAAA to A6 in one
>     night (of which timezone?)
>   - all AAAA queriers can stay as is, but there has to be AAAA synthesis
>     server at every leaf
>   - no AAAA traffic in core DNS cloud, only A6 traffic.

These claims seem to stem from either disbelieve that the transition
can be made, or from desire to stop A6 regardless of its merits.

>itojun@tired.

:-)

--
nathanj