To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
CC: briansp@walid.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:15:28 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

Lars-Johan Liman wrote:

> briansp@walid.com:
> > Is this requirement going to scale reasonably into the day when
> > every appliance in my kitchen is connected to the network and has
> > its own address?
>
> I see that as less of an issue. If we require that people do it, they
> will make it scale. By the time your stove reads e-mail, DHCP and
> dynamic DNS will be well deployed.
>
> > I've never really been convinced that the reverse lookup stuff is that
> > helpful.
>
> Well, if you're a network admin, traceroutes with text in them is
> _really_ helpful at times, provided that the rev-DNS is to some degree
> correct. Being able to see that my packet from Sweden go through
> Washington DC to reach Spain, gives me a lot of info. With regards to
> hosts, its useful when the forward DNS is wrong. "ping foo.org" tells
> you "trying bar.net" and you realise that there might be more to
> investigate. So there is benefit, but not for the party providing the
> information - that's the quirk.
>
> > My first reaction to this document was 'so what', but I see the
> > merits of recommending this as a BCP.  Using DNS for this purpose
> > isn't going to be a panacea for identifying responsibility domains
> > for addresses, but I don't see what harm it could do, and would at
> > least provide a standard document for reference purposes.
>
> Someone is going to question the "rules" if there is no motivation for
> them. "Why should I put costly manpower into maintaining this if it's
> just for someone else's convenience?"

The same argument can be made for other BCPs I've worked on, Ingress
filtering (RFC 2827) and directed broadcast disable (RFC 2644). One of
the reasons to publish a BCP is to remind folks that something might be
for the good of the whole 'net. While each of these areas is less useful
to the network operator themselves, when they're affected by someone
else's network not doing these things, they might change their minds.

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

Home | Date list | Subject list