To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
cc: randy@psg.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Brian W. Spolarich" <briansp@walid.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:52:43 +0000 (UCT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Lars-Johan Liman wrote:

| randy@psg.com:
| > and many sites out there check before letting you web to them or
| > even accept mail from you.
|
| Yes, sure, but is that A Good Thing (TM) or is it broken behaviour?

  Is this requirement going to scale reasonably into the day when every
appliance in my kitchen is connected to the network and has its own
address?

  I've never really been convinced that the reverse lookup stuff is that
helpful.  As I see it there are basically two ways to get at the
administrative information regarding who 'owns' or is otherwise
responsible for a given block of IP addresses: 1) DNS PTR records or 2)
properly SWIP-ped address allocations.  ISPs tend to fail to do both of
these consistently.  If they do, I suspect they tend to be
over-generalized (i.e. general mappings for large portions of the entire
block in the case of PTR).

  My first reaction to this document was 'so what', but I see the merits
of recommending this as a BCP.  Using DNS for this purpose isn't going to
be a panacea for identifying responsibility domains for addresses, but I
don't see what harm it could do, and would at least provide a standard
document for reference purposes.

  -bws

Home | Date list | Subject list