To: randy@psg.com
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:52:16 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

randy@psg.com:
> and many sites out there check before letting you web to them or
> even accept mail from you.

Yes, sure, but is that A Good Thing (TM) or is it broken behaviour?

It's like:

Hotel:	We won't take your reservation unless you give us your credit
	card number.

... and I can give them any number I want, and they think they are
happy campers and safe and secure. I wouldn't like to see it mandated
that the hotels ask for credit card numbers, because it's broken
behaviour.

Is the behaviour to check and verify reverse lookup something that we
really want to encourage? Then why? There are lots of legal situations
where the forward lookup mismatches the reverse lookup, and there is
IMHO no real security to be gained from checking the reverse
name. And, it adds to the general load of the Internet.

So, what is _REALLY_ the LOGICAL reason for having to provide reverse
information.

Again, I'm not advocating not doing rev-DNS, I'm just trying to find
out _why_ it should be done.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

Home | Date list | Subject list