To: Rodney Thayer <rodney@tillerman.to>
Cc: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:43:49 -0500
Delivery-Date: Fri Dec 28 21:49:31 2001
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

Just to make sure this is clear - I used past tense to say that PKI's
weren't part of the discussion to mean that we hadn't been discussing them
- in the past.  I agree that PKI's are to be part of the discussion from
here onwards.  I do admit that I am still a bit unclear on what role PKI's
play, and whether or not LDAP is considered to be part of a PKI.  (There's
a terminology lapse in my knowledge.)

To answer to the phrase "so as far as I was concerned it was part of the
discussion" - I can see some confusion.  As of Dec 1, PKI, etc., wasn't
part of the previous discussion, as of Dec 15, PKI, etc., was to be part of
the discussion.  So your motivation for participating is right in line with
what needs to be accomplished.  The original mail of this thread was
talking about the pre-history of "this" effort.

At 2:32 PM -0500 12/28/01, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>actually, as it appeared to me at the Salt Lake City IETF, this
>list started as an outgrowth of the SSH-keys-in-DNS proposal, so
>it's already gone radically far afield.

Not that it matters, but the SSH-in-DNS came after some initial work in the
DNS realm.  I can see why it seemed that the list grew from the
SSH-in-DNS...like I say, this isn't an important point, but at least it
gets us going on the same page.

>However, I strongly agree this is the way to get the confusion
>and misunderstandings out of the way and get some real work done.
>
>At 02:18 PM 12/27/2001 -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
>>At 12:03 PM -0500 12/27/01, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>> >there's also a long history of storing keys that doesn't relate to DNS,
>> >which his post seems to ignore.  PGP key servers, all of the PKIX working
>> >group's efforts, SPKI, etc.etc.etc.
>>
>>I wasn't "ignoring" the alternatives.  Those options were not part of the
>>discussions that led to the creation of the mail list.
>
>Well, the reason _I_ asked to participate was that i saw us drilling
>the same unproductive rathole's we've drilled before... so as far as I was
>concerned it was part of the discussion... since some of the obvious suspects
>were in the loop I assumed others had similar opinions...
>
>(further comments postponed in agreement with an interest in clean thread
>headings...)

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list