To: Rodney Thayer <rodney@tillerman.to>
Cc: keydist@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:18:31 -0500
Delivery-Date: Thu Dec 27 20:29:01 2001
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: From whence we came...

At 12:03 PM -0500 12/27/01, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>there's also a long history of storing keys that doesn't relate to DNS,
>which his post seems to ignore.  PGP key servers, all of the PKIX working
>group's efforts, SPKI, etc.etc.etc.

I wasn't "ignoring" the alternatives.  Those options were not part of the
discussions that led to the creation of the mail list.  (Keep in mind that
the effort leading up to this mail list has been flawed - if it weren't,
we'd have been done.)  The fact that those options exist and had been
excluded from the conversations is one of the reasons why this mail list
has been created and a call for participation made.

I appologize if this seems confrontational, but I want to make it clear
where some of us are coming from.  Those of us who have spent considerable
time discussing this in the DNS arena will have benefitted from learning
the DNS sensitivities and intangibles but may also be at a disadvantage
when it comes to other mechanisms available.  On the other hand, those of
us who pushed for the use of DNS shouldn't see this process as a way to
press the issue back into the DNS groups.  Personally, I think the future
is ambiguous on this issue.

As far as PGP key servers, PKIX, SPKI and other efforts/mechanisms, I'll
put some thoughts into another mail thread (to keep the subject lines
clean).

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list