To: Rodney Thayer <rodney@tillerman.to>
Cc: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>, keydist@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:31:40 -0500
Delivery-Date: Fri Dec 14 01:02:19 2001
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: hello!

At 1:20 PM -0500 12/13/01, Rodney Thayer wrote:
>If we are to begin at the beginning, we need to enumerate requirements
>for keys.  One I want to have is to be able to store ssh keys,
>at least for use in accessing infrastructure devices.

Yup, ironically though, we aren't at the beginning, but what progress has
been already made has taught us that we need requirements.

>In other words, I can see the point that storing the SSH keys for my
>desktop linux system might not be an appropriate use of DNS, but
>I think that storing the SSH keys for my router is appropriate.

I'd like to debate that, but not in this thread.  I have no problem with
desktop keys (as they are the same as router login keys).  The router admin
may not be any close to the DNS admin than a host admin.

>As I understand the objections in the DNSEXT WG, they were sort of
>saying that "application keys are not something the DNS should be used to
>store".  I would like to interpret that as "non-infrastructure-related
>application keys".  Or, perhaps, "not keys for which there are other
>directory mechanisms".  In other words, I dont' think anyone is asking
>to store something like a PKIX CRL in DNS.

The DNSEXT objection was pretty much as you say.  However, I have already
written code that pulled CRL's from DNS.  (The CERT record is suitable for
CRLs.)

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list