To: Michael Young <myoung@ca.afilias.info>
Cc: "'Patrick Mevzek'" <provreg@contact.dotandco.com>, "'EPP Provreg'" <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:43:31 +0200
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] Presentation on EPP present and future

On 24 jun 2010, at 01.20, Michael Young wrote:

> Its been said before, but I'll say it again, EPP is an Extensible protocol.
> Given its flexibility, I have yet to hear an argument as to why existing
> issues cannot be addressed using the extension system.

The overall problem is that it is extensible. The amount of new code that has to be written for each registry is a royal pain, and an indication the protocol in reality is not interoperable at all.

So, I think the big question is:

- Is there a goal to get interoperable implementations?

If so, the ability to extend must be _decreased_ a lot.

Example of things that must be agreed upon:

- The format accepted for various attribute values (telephone numbers, names etc)

- What happens in detail with various related records when a domain is transferred

Just look at the number of special hacks in the perl library for example.

If that is not a goal, so that code has to be rewritten for each registry, then of course we have a base protocol that "works".

   Patrik

This is a digitally signed message part

Home | Date list | Subject list