To: "Bernie Hoeneisen" <bernie@ietf.hoeneisen.ch>, "Alexey Melnikov" <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>, iesg@ietf.org
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:11:26 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: [ietf-provreg] RE: Last Call: draft-gould-rfc4310bis (Domain Name System(DNS) Security Extensions Mapping for the Extensible ProvisioningProtocol

(Left off the ietf general list)

At 7:24 -0500 2/1/10, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

>Even when provreg was a working group the same mailing list, hosted in
>the same place, was used for group discussion.  An explicit decision was
>made to keep the list open for ongoing discussion after the working
>group was closed.  Nothing has changed in terms of the agreed-upon place
>for ongoing work discussion.
>
>All individual submission work that happened after the group closed was
>done in complete accordance with IETF procedures, with appropriate
>public announcements, using the agreed-upon mailing list.  Responsible
>"stakeholders" have a responsibility to stay involved, Bernie.  I know I
>can't have done any more to let people know what's been going on.

Having once been one of the co-chairs of Provreg I want to try to
explain the situation.  Both Bernie and Scott are right, but that
doesn't mean there isn't a gap.

What happened is that the PROVREG WG operated during a time when the
domain name registration function, as well as all other registration
functions, were understood by just a small community and within a
constrained framework.  The WG achieved its goal, in 2003 or so
stopped meeting (it was closed officially once the RFCs were
published, months later).  The mailing list has remained open since
then, with little or no publicity beyond those active on it.  I
wouldn't expect that a responsible party would even know of the list
if they hadn't been there to participate in the WG.

Since the closing of the WG the documents defining EPP have been
advanced to Full Standard using the mailing list as the basis for
communication.  While this meets with IETF processes standards, the
registration industry/community grew both in population[0] and in
scope[1] at the same time and this did not feed into the IETF
process.  Members of this growth had no formal way to know of the
mailing list as it had no WG to "cover" it, had no chairs or
advocates to promote it in appropriate venues (like CENTR Tech).

>I know I can't have done any more to let people know what's been going on.

And that's certainly true, but that doesn't mean the message got out
far enough.

In the past few weeks, recognizing this and a backlog of technical
issues[2] facing registries, registrars, and all others involved in
Internet Registration, there has been discussion on the mailing list
to apply for a new WG (well, first a BoF, etc.).  From the messages
posted, it appears that an effort to apply for a BoF will proceed,
hopefully in time for IETF 78 "Maastricht" (as the deadline for IETF
77 "Disneyland" has passed).

[0] Back then there were 3 or 4 registries and a few registrars;
according to a stat uttered at .ORG's Public Forum last week, there
are 14 "major" registry operators now, hundreds of registrars just
within the ICANN definition, and many other entities involved in
domain name registration.

[1] The role of registries are better understood today, more
realization of the differences and similarities of domain name
registration and RIR's for example.  While RIR's did not actively
participate in the PROVREG WG, then did participate in CRISP, as one
sign of growing awareness.

[2] Such as submission of DNSSEC keys (SEP/KSK) into registries not
using EPP's DNSSEC extension (4310) now defined at PS; and how
non-EPP client DNS operators send the keys.