To: Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk
CC: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 08:33:55 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] RE: Last Call: draft-gould-rfc4310bis (Domain Name System(DNS) Security Extensions Mapping for the ExtensibleProvisioningProtocol

OK. So we need to:

(a) remind the lawyers who clutter up the Registry Stakeholder Group
(RySG) that they need to know to tell the technical people (who should
form the registry operator sharpened stakes and pitchforks group) that
technical work (on EPP) takes place on ietf-provreg, please bring your
extensions and other brain-damage or stay home,

(b) remind the lawyers who clutter up the Registrar Stakeholder Group
(RSG) that technical work (on EPP) takes place on ietf-provreg, and if
they intend to sell anything other than VGRS inventory, or stay afloat
in a sea of registry-specific extensions and other brain-damage, its
come or stay home,

(c) inform the civil administrators who clutter up the CNSO similar to
(a), above, rinse and repeat for the sharpened stakes and pitchforks
group, unencumbered by the "contract" problem,

and

(d) inform the ccTLD tech people who attend occasionally, or
regularly, the Monday ccTLD Tech Day at ICANN meetings that technical
work (on EPP) takes place on ietf-provreg, again, rinse and repeat for
the sharpened stakes and pitchforks group.

That covers the ICANN g&c space. Informing the CNNIC c&g's would be
useful as it is a bother that .cn-ascii and .cn-idn are at different
pre-1.0 revs. It is their choice, but spec-sync could benefit them as
well as everyone else benefited by spec-sync.

Are there other registrars, and other registries, which use, or plan
to use, EPP? Possibly. This gets more real when we look at another XML
syntax specified data transport issue, the escrow, as escrow is a
general interest to zone operators, not merely TLD zone operators.

The reason for techies to have "sharpened stakes and pitchforks" is
that the really important technical and operational issues do not fall
into the mutually exclusive "have a contract or have a MoU (or less)
with ICANN" baskets, and specification and/or implementation drift
caused by differences in legal regimes has no technical necessity
justification.

Eric