To: Patrik Fältström <patrik@frobbit.se>
CC: EPP Provreg <ietf-provreg@cafax.se>
From: James Gould <jgould@verisign.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:51:42 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-provreg@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [ietf-provreg] draft-gould-rfc4310bis-00.txt Submitted for Review

Patrik,

Thanks for the feedback.  The secDNS:chg should be able to handle the use
case that you describe, since secDNS:chg is a full replace.  Removing all
existing and setting the new DS or Key Data is handled by secDNS:chg.  The
corner case that is not covered in the current schema is replacing all DS or
Key Data with nothing, meaning remove all.  I prefer that the client
explicitly specify what should be added or removed via the secDNS:add and
secDNS:rem, but the secDNS:chg could be updated to allow an empty
secDNS:chg.  Below is the schema update needed to allow secDNS:chg to be
empty.  This change is also backward compatible, so the question is whether
it meets the need and whether it is a good practice to include in the draft?
Any thoughts to this?

    <complexType name="chgType">
        <choice minOccurs="0">
            <element name="dsData" type="secDNS:dsDataType"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
            <element name="keyData" type="secDNS:keyDataType"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        </choice>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="updateType">
        <choice>
          <element name="chg" type="secDNS:chgType"/>
          <sequence>
            <element name="add" type="secDNS:dsOrKeyType" minOccurs="0"/>
            <element name="rem" type="secDNS:remType" minOccurs="0"/>
          </sequence>
        </choice>
        <attribute name="urgent" type="boolean" default="false"/>
    </complexType>

The sample command looks like:

<epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0"
     xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0
     epp-1.0.xsd">
  <command>
    <update>
      <domain:update
       xmlns:domain="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0"
       xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:domain-1.0
       domain-1.0.xsd">
        <domain:name>example.com</domain:name>
      </domain:update>
    </update>
    <extension>
      <secDNS:update urgent="1"
       xmlns:secDNS="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:secDNS-1.0"
       xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:secDNS-1.0
       secDNS-1.0.xsd">
        <secDNS:chg/>
      </secDNS:update>
    </extension>
    <clTRID>ABC-12345</clTRID>
  </command>
</epp>

--

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Software Engineer
VeriSign Naming Services
jgould@verisign.com
Direct: 703.948.3271
Mobile: 703.628.7063

21345 Ridgetop Circle
LS2-2-1
Dulles, VA 20166

Notice to Recipient:  This e-mail contains confidential, proprietary and/or
Registry  Sensitive information intended solely for the recipient and, thus
may not be  retransmitted, reproduced or disclosed without the prior written
consent of  VeriSign Naming and Directory Services.  If you have received
this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a
copy.  Thank you.